Calvary and Copperfield Church have partnered together…
Calvary has joined with Copperfield Church in a partnership to serve Hairgrove Elementary. Our efforts reflect the Whole and Healthy Children Emphasis for Greater Houston. Caring adults can make a difference in the lives of staff and students in the public arena through mentoring, volunteering, praying, and giving. We long to see transformation in our community. Changing the lives of children, equipping mentors to become change agents, and doing acts of Christ-centered goodness (Acts 10:38) will help us toward our goal of personal and community transformation.
Our vision is to demonstrate the love of Jesus to students, staff, and families of Hairgrove Elementary through service, support, encouragement, and prayer in order to restore our community to God’s design and to impact the lives of children positively for the future.
Our partnership with Hairgrove and Copperfield Church is making a difference. Regarding the academic camps, in the 2009-2010 school year (the year we provided breakfast tacos), the student participation rate for the camps went up from 30% the prior year to 80 – 85% in 2009 – 2010. During the next year, by holding the camps on Fridays and providing dinner for the students, the participation rate increased to 90 – 95 percent. That success rate has continued each year. By providing a meal, snacks, and prizes, we have helped the school to help their most needy students. What an expression of love and what a significant impact.
See how you can be involved:
Be A Mentor
- Be a Mentor. Hairgrove Elementary is looking for mentors for the 2021-2022 school year. A mentor is a suitable role model committed to serve as a guide and a friend while helping a student with his/her educational and personal development. Join others who have become mentors for children and enriched their lives. They are greatly appreciated by the students and staff. You may play games, puzzles, read a book, or simply visit with a child and be a positive influence in that child’s life. We ask for a commitment of approximately 30 minutes a week for a school year. You’ll meet only on campus and during school hours. (Appointment times may be flexible). New mentors are required to attend training sessions conducted by CFISD. Please click here for more information and to register to be a mentor. Please contact Patti Ressler for more information.
Thank you to all our wonderful Bus Buddy volunteers.
Stay tuned we will need Bus Buddy’s again next year!
- Bus Buddy. On the first two days of school in the afternoon volunteers will ride a school bus to help the bus driver ensure that students are dropped off at their correct classroom. There is a short training video required. Please click here to register to be a Bus Buddy. All buses are air conditioned. Please contact Patti Ressler for more information.
First Day of School Volunteers
Thank you to all the wonderful volunteers who helped make the first day of school at Hairgrove a great success. Stay tuned we will need volunteers next year.
- First day of school volunteers. On the first day of school from 7:30-8:30am, volunteers are needed to help children off the school bus when they arrive and direct them to their classroom. From 8:30-11:00am, volunteers are needed to help in a Pre-K, Kindergarten, or First Grade classroom to assist the teacher with helping students learn the daily procedures. There is a short 30 minute training meeting held at Hairgrove Elementary. Please contact Patti Ressler for more information.
We currently have enough school supplies.
School supply drive. We usually collect school supplies at the beginning of each school year. Stay tuned for more information as we coordinate with Hairgrove Elementary.
We are currently accepting new or gently used clothing.
- Clothing Drive. Each year we collect new or gently worn clothing for the students at Hairgrove. We need volunteers to help sort, setup, and distribute the clothing. The setup and distribution days are January 13 & 14, 2022. Please contact Patti Ressler for more information.
- Monthly Staff Appreciation. To show how much we appreciate the staff at Hairgrove, we provide a special treat in their box or provide lunch on a monthly basis. Volunteers help prep and prepare these gifts. Please contact Patti Ressler if you can help.
Please contact Patti Ressler, Calvary’s Coordinator for the Hairgrove Partnership if you have any questions or if you need more information on these opportunities.